We are Travis and Tina. We're planning our low-key urban wedding. These are our tales as we coordinate our celebration.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Getting Crafty

Since we're less than 3 weeks from the wedding, it's time to start tackling some of the decoration tasks. I've decided to add some simple elements to spruce up the dinner after our ceremony. We've reserved a private room at Pauline's Pizza and I'm using the lower photo below as inspiration for the tables -- simple, classic and comfortable.

inspiration

I reserved the book Handmade Weddings from Hello Lucky (the same company that did our invitations), months ago at the San Francisco Public Library. I finally received a notice it was available about 2 weeks ago so I marched over to check it out. So cute and inspiring! Of course I don't have the time to do most of the projects, but I did decide to go for the yarn bombed vase centerpieces this weekend:

The Instructions

On Saturday, I headed to the nearby Thrift Town and Goodwill to see what types of vases and votives I could track down. I managed to find 4 similar vases at Thrift Town and 14 votives at Goodwill. Score! I also visited a local knitting store and purchased some bright orange (Ojai Orange) yarn and the drug store for double-sided tape.

The Tools

Lauryn stopped by again on her way out of town last night so I asked if she was up for a project. She was game and turned out to be the perfect craft partner with her amazing attention to detail and background in design. We got to work!

Let's Get Started

It took us a while to get the hang of working with yarn, curvy glass and double-sided tape. After a while, we got the hang of it and perfected a technique utilizing all 4 of our hands and joked that we were an efficient human weaving vase loom.

One Down -- Need to Match Em Up

In all, we were super impressed with how the vases turned out. They look sharp and well done. Many thanks to Lauryn's diligence to detail! In all, this project took about 3 hours and cost $17. Nice!

Finished Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment