We are Travis and Tina. We're planning our low-key urban wedding. These are our tales as we coordinate our celebration.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

TBRC

Travis and I had talked a little bit about whether or not I would change my last name to Crawford, but since it was more of an abstract question before he proposed, I didn't give it much thought. I always said, "Probably" and we left it at that.

Once he proposed, though, the question was much more real -- and it wasn't so easy to answer.

Luckily, traveling for work a few weeks ago, I had an idea on what we should do. I was snoozing/daydreaming as the plane was landing and suddenly decided that we should both change our names.

It seems strange to me that only one person gains a name. In fact, we're both committing to each other forever so we should both show some finality in that through our names.

As soon as the plane touched down, I texted Travis:

Tina: I have a great solution to our last name change thing.

Travis: Oh? The suspense is killing me :)

Tina: I think you should add Reid to your middle name -- Travis Bryant Reid Crawford -- and then I'd add Crawford and make Reid my middle name -- Kristina Brooks Reid Crawford. What do you think? I like it!

Travis: It's like we're Spanish!

Tina: Really? I'm not familiar with that!

Travis: They have two last names. It sounds reasonable. Come up with it on your own?

Tina: Yeah, snoozing on the plane.

Travis: Thinking + snoozing

So, there you have it. We've come up with a reasonable solution. We're both gaining families, so we'll reflect it in our names! I'm thrilled to welcome Travis to the Reid clan and thrilled to join the Crawford family. It's a little untraditional, but feels totally right for us.

Plus, as an added bonus, we'll have the same initials: TBRC!

No comments:

Post a Comment